Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What a Big Bang!

(In which language doesn’t matter.)

***

There has to be at least some similarities between you and the students’ interests so that there will be a certain level of connection. And since I am teaching foreign students, connecting with them sometimes means watching their shows and listening to their songs. Connecting those with English is no longer their problem.


I used to handle a group class of middle school and university students and I remembered one of them asking me if I know a certain Korean song. They were quite amazed when I can relate to some songs and dramas (thanks to Jumong and the like). And that student started to sing some lines so badly I didn’t want to hear the rest of it. I said “No. That doesn’t sound familiar,” hoping I didn’t sound like is-that-a-song-or-what?

I no longer handle that kind of class now. (Sigh of relief.)

One day, as I was using the computer in the company’s library-without-books, (There really is no book at all so we call it that way. It’s the multi-purpose room – meeting room, cafeteria and study room all rolled into one. See? Calling it a library was just so ridiculous.) my co-teacher was playing something on his laptop. It sounds so familiar. When it reached the chorus, I just knew it was the song my student asked me about. Man, it sounds way better than how my student sang it!

So I learned that the group’s name is Big Bang. It’s a group of five boys (Kwon Ji Yong, Dong Young Bae, Choi Seung Hyun, Kang Dae Sung, Lee Seung Hyun) who give different kind of vocals and rap to their music. They also include English parts in their songs. No, they don’t rap in English.

My phone students have been mentioning their names during our classes but I never gave a damn. It was when I heard a part of their song that I decided to give it a try since I do understand some Korean expressions and I also know how to read and write Hangul. That doesn’t mean I didn’t need the translation.

I didn’t know them, really. So I got some info from www.beststuff.com
Real Name: Kwon Ji Yong
Stage Name: G-Dragon
Position: Leader, Vocal, Rapper, Composer
Date of Birth: August 18,1988 (20)
Is the leader of Big Bang. Has been trained by YG entertainment since he was 12 years old. G-Dragon is also very interested in fashion and is known to be very fashionable.
Real Name: Dong Young Bae
Stage Name: Tae Yang; SoL
Position: Vocal, Choreographer
Date of Birth: May 18, 1988 (20)
Tae Yang started out as being a rapper, but is now the main vocalist of Big Bang. He is known to be shy, sweet, thoughtful, and most sensitive one in Big Bang. It is also known he used to be scared of girls' when he was younger. He was the first one to release a solo album, called HOT.
(I noticed something on the picture to the right. But I’m not saying! ^^)
Real Name: Choi Seung Hyun
Stage Name: T.O.P; Tempo
Position: Rapper, Beat Boxer, Composer
Date of Birth: November 4, 1987 (21)
Is known as the 'big brother' of the band. He also won KBS Radio's Rap Battle in 2003. Another one of his talents is acting. He was in the Korean Drama "I am Sam" He impressed many people, including fans, with his acting skills. He was also in Red Roc's music video for Hello and also in Gummy's mv for I'm Sorry with Sandara Park. T.O.P also got more fame when he kissed superstar Lee Hyori on stage at the 2008 MKMF (it was planned though).
Real Name: Kang Daesung
Stage Name: Dae Sung, D-Lite
Position: Vocal
Date of Birth: April 26, 1989
Dae Sung was first known as "ugly" and "Unpretty boy" but the staff team confirmed he is the most liked member in Big Bang. He has a talent of imitating people and also has a great sense of humor. Dae Sung is the second Big Bang member to star in a musical, the Korean musical "Cats". During the 2008 MKMF, his act with Korean superstar Lee Hyori was voted one of the best acts of the night.
Real Name: Lee Seung Hyun
Stage Name: Seung Ri, V, Victory
Position: Vocal, Choreographer
Date of Birth: December 12, 1990 (18)
Seung Ri is the "little brother" of Big Bang. One of his greater talents is dancing and choreographing performances. Before Big Bang, Seung Ri was part of a Gwangju dance team, II Hwa. Seung Ri is the first member to be in a musical, Sonagi. Seung Ri is also the second member to debut as an actor, after T.O.P.
Alright. Done with the boys and now to their song.





거짓밀 (Lies)
Big Bang
"Lies" became the biggest hit of 2007 in South Korea, allowing Big Bang to win 1st place for the first time in Korean TV music program in " SBS, Popular Songs" on September 9, 2007. "Lie" also swept first place in all four music programs in Korea ( MBC, SBS, KBS and Mnet) within weeks, and topped numerous online and offline charts for unbelievably long periods of time, including Juke-on (for which is #1 for 7 consecutive weeks and Melon (Music site) for 6 consecutive weeks. The group also received the Best Male Group, and Song Of The Year in the 2007 MKMF Award, contributing to their hard work. In addition, Big Bang won the "Song of the Month," (Digital Music Award) from Cyworld 2 months in a row, selling more than 330,000 songs in 6 weeks after the release of their mini-album. Big Bang also filmed the music video for their song "Always" in Hawaii. The music video was released in November. (http://www.jpopasia.com/play/4375/big-bang/lies.html)
(I just love how they sing "I’m so sorry but I love you….”)
하루 하루 (Day by Day)
Big Bang
This song is my previous phone student’s ring tone. So I like it more when he’s not answering.
***


Is that eye liner I’m seeing? If that is, it just looks so inappropriate for their eyes. Well, they might have found Gaara’s fashion cool. And I bet I didn’t have to tell you they sounded trying hard during some English parts. Well, the song is good and these guys really know how to sing. They’ve got cool voices, right?