Monday, March 9, 2009

Goodbye, Master Rapper


(In which a pillar of Original Pinoy Music said farewell.)




***

I was watching “Eat Bulaga”, a noon-time show in the Philippines and one of my favorite segment was “Sa Pula, Sa Puti” where people from opposing groups battle it out in a fun game and quiz. Today, their guest players are from two of the most popular radio stations in the country – Love Radio and Energy FM. It was so fun! Imagine seeing the face of your favorite D.J.’s! I was having a great time seeing the D.J’s exchanging retorts on why their radio station is number one and how their better than the other station when all of a sudden, the hosts (Allan K. and Pia Guanio) called for a commercial break. When they returned, one of the main hosts – Vic Sotto – announced that the Pinoy Master Rapper Francis Magalona, died noon today.




“Kiko”, as he was fondly called, has been reported to be suffering from acutemyelogenous leukemia, a cancer of the blood and bone marrow. I read from Wikipedia that he died “a few days after his fourth chemotherapy session and a few days before his supposed stem cell transplant.” It broke my heart to see the hosts cry in the show – in the middle of a supposedly fun and happy segment.




I told my mom about the news and she was as equally shocked as I was. They aired some videos of Kiko’s performances as a tribute to him which made me remember stanzas from his most inspiring song for me. He might have left us but his music and his legacy remain.




Mga kababayan ko
Dapat lang malaman nyo
Bilib ako sa kulay ko
Ako ay pilipino
Kung may itim or may puti
Mayron naman kayumangi
Isipin mo na kaya mong
Abutin ang yung minimithi




(From “Mga Kababayan Ko” by Francis Magalona)
***Friday March 6, 2009***