Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Let’s Talk!

(In which I kept memories of our conversation.)



I used to get amazed at how people constantly misspell my name. So I had removed the doubled letters when my boss asked me for the name that they would display on my Teacher’s Account. But now it’s not the misspelling I am worried about. It’s how students pronounce it.

Student: Hi, Teacher! What’s your name?
Me: Rezzell. /Ree-zell/
Student: Oh hello, Reejuhr!
Me: No. It’s Ree-zell.
Student: Ok.

The next day...

Me: Hi!
Student: Hi Leejuhr!
Me: No. It’s Ree-zell.

The following day...

Student: Hi Leyzuhr!
Me: I told you it’s Ree-zell.
Student: Oh ok. Sorry.

Later on that day...

Me: Hi!
Student: Hi Reyzuhr!
Me: (Sigh)
***
In one of our role-playing activities, there was a time when I need to act as the interviewer and my student was the interviewee.

Me: What do you do in your company?
Student: I am doing the manager.

***
Students often read /s/ as /sh/. And I almost burst into laughter when my student committed that blunder.

Me:
What is the man doing?
Student:
He is shitting on the sofa.


***
I have been conducting level tests for students who want to study English through telephone. Here are some conversations that really made their mark.

Me:
How do you deal with stress?
Student:
I punch the wor.
Me:
You mean you punch the wall?
Student:
Yes.
Me:
Hmm.. Isn’t it painful? Doesn’t it hurt?
Student:
Huh?
Me:
Isn’t it painful? Like ‘ouch’?
Student:
Ahhh… It’s ouch but it’s okay!


***
Me: How many rooms are there in your house?
Student: There are five rooms. But I don’t live there now. I live in a laboratory.
Me: Oh.. You mean dormitory?
Student: Yes. Dormitory.
***
We were talking about past continuous tense so our topic is about accidents. I asked the student if he ever had an accident.

Me:
Have you ever had an accident?
Student:
Yes.
Me:
Hmmm… What happened?
Student:
I hit a truck.