Friday, June 11, 2010

On Liberty



(In which I wish to relive my heritage.)

***

An officemate gaped when she found out that I write on my YA books. I told her that I underline and/or highlight beautiful and philosophical quotes and unfamiliar words and even write down my comments and the definition of the words on the margins.

“Hey, that is not a text book!” she yelled in disbelief.

Looking back, I realize that I don’t read my text books the same way I read the novels and that text books deserve to be read cover to cover too.

After commenting on a blog post about a book on the pre-war Manila, I was enlightened that my recall of Philippine history deteriorated – that is, if I used to recall well. The blogger said that being poor in our history is another sad manifestation of our “self-effacing nature” and it hit me. And now I am thinking of rereading . . . okay, read – Constantino. After that I may have the time to reread (Yes, I’ve read it!) León Ma. Guerrero’s The First Filipino and another Rizal book. (Suggestions about other authors are very welcome.)

Currently (Re)reading
The Philippines – A Past Revisited by Renato Constantino



And in celebration of our independence, here’s to all of us!



Aming ligaya na pag may mang-aapi
Ang mamatay nang dahil sa ‘yo.