Monday, May 4, 2009

잘 들어 보세요.*

(In which music finds a way.)
***
We were watching a movie while eating dinner last night. My sister brought the DVD of a 2007 film “August Rush”. It was about Evan Taylor (Freddie Highmore), the child of classical cellist Lyla Novacek (Keri Russell) and Irish rock singer Louis Connelly (Jonathan Rhys Meyers). Lyla’s father, who was against their relationship, sent him to the orphanage and told Lyla that he’s dead. Later on Evan decided to look for his parents, and in the process, discovered his talent in playing the guitar and in composition. Wizard (Robin Williams) gave him the new name August Rush.
There was a scene where he played like a virtuoso guitarist though he never learned his notes. Yeah, he doesn’t know how to strum the strings but he created an impossibly beautiful music. He was also able to create a complex composition on the piano three minutes after the young girl told him about the “Every Good Boy Does Fine” and “F.A.C.E” thing. How genius!

I was smirking and told my sister “Whoah! So he just listened to every sound and noise and he made music out of them? Hey! And how did he ever come up with sixteenth notes when he never learned to read musical notations?”
“Do you know that Mozart had his first composition when he was five? That boy’s eleven.”
Okay. She has Music as her major.
“Really? But did he ever have a formal music education?”
“Uh… Yeah.”
“That boy didn’t.”
Anyway, so that made the film preposterous. Yet as a musician myself, I appreciate how music connects and brings people together. I also enjoyed watching the cellist and the orchestra. Oh how I miss those times when I’m playing the flute with a brass band in front of many people during a concert. I miss the confidence it gives me. I long for the comfort and serenity music brings into my soul.

***
I remembered someone told me how he dreamed of becoming a cellist. So last Christmas, I sent him a video of a musical piece with his name as the title it was a Japanese composition with piano, violin and cello parts. He loved music too. If only it could connect our hearts again, then… I hope he can hear. I hope he’s listening.
Wizard: If there is anything in this world that you want to be, what is it?

Evan: Found.
***

The music is all around us. All you have to do is listen.
- Evan Taylor, “August Rush”
*Listen carefully.