Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Batman Trilogy by Christopher Nolan


(In which it is still better late than never.)

***

For those few who were wondering why on earth there is a movie review in here, I believe I owe this blog anything my amateurish writing skill can offer. And yes there are other movie reviews here. Help yourself.

One belief I have when it comes to watching movies (and reading books, except for one) that come in series is that I have to see the prequels first. I know I have been missing a lot of good stuff out there, but with a teaching career, studies and a social life I need to redeem, can you really blame me? Fortunately, no one has to. Because I myself have suffered too much disappointment upon failing to catch The Batman Trilogy in cinemas. Instead I had to make do with not-so-clear copies (I'm not complaining; just stating facts) to stop making myself unforgivably ignorant about the hunk that is Christian Bale. Seriously, I stopped minding that unlikely voice he has whenever he's wearing the suit by the second installment. He's that disarmingly charming.

Anyway, in celebration of the trilogies I've featured in one full blast (which I believe is more difficult than installments. Time management training needed), here's what I got from my precious digital copies.

In Batman Begins (2005), Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) is a ridiculuously rich kid in Gotham City who got orphaned after his parents were killed by a random holduper. He left his wealthy status and lived with the thugs until he landed in a prisoner where he met Henri Ducard (Liam Neeson). Ducard sees Bruce's fighting skills as a huge asset that Bruce was taking for granted. He invited Bruce to be part of Ra's Al Ghul's League of Shadows whose main purpose is to alleviate societies of crimes and injustice. Bruce was trained to master his fears and become a better fighter. But when the training ends and his true initiation begins, Bruce finds out it's better to rebel than to yield.

He goes back to Gotham City and assumes the status his inheritance endows him. And with the resources and connection, he starts building the technology and materials to alleviate Gotham of crimes and injustice - as The Batman. But his journey as a black-clad vigilante doesn't happen without risking the lives of people he values - such as his beloved childhood friend Rachel Dawes (Katie Holmes).

In The Dark Knight (2008), Bruce Wayne comes face-to-face with Rachel's (Maggie Gylenhaal) new boyfriend, Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart). He continues to try to win Rachel by clinging to what she said about them being together when Gotham no longer needs Batman. By this time, a new villain is plaguing the city - the psychopathic evil that is The Joker (Heath Ledger). In their seemingly never-ending chase, Bruce was torn between keeping his identity as The Batman and giving himself in to stop The Joker from killing innocent people. And because of one important decision, Bruce lost two friends.

In The Dark Knight Rises (2012), eight years after being shattered by two deaths, Bruce lives a life in seclusion until he stumbles upon The Cat Burglar (Anne Hathaway). It turns out that she stole his finger prints for someone who wants to take over Wayne Enterprise. Meanwhile. Bane (Tom Hardy) goes to Gotham as the heir of The League of Shadows devoted to punish Bruce for his betrayal. With Batman captured and Gotham city ruled by Bane who threatens to blow it up via an atomic bomb, Bruce and other righteous citizens strive to put order in a chaotic, rules-less society. Just when they thought they've got the bomb detonated, someone blurted one final surprise. 

As you can see, it's hard to put the spoilers out for the sake of those who haven't seen it. 

Anyway, if there's one thing that amazes me about the movie apart from the awesome black vehicles and Christian Bale, it's the movie's knack for hair-raising surprises. I don't know. But for someone who (shamefully, again) missed the comic books and some episodes in the animated series, those shockers were priceless. 

I also have to admit that as a superhero, Batman is incredibly human. I mean, his faults, his shortcomings and short-sightedness were justified either by his upbringing, downfall, fears and privilege, or perhaps a mixture of all those. He was predictable and unpredictable at the same time. His compassion and martyrdom were commendable. yes. But what's more noteworthy is his belief in humanity. Heroes are all meant to salvage and redeem. But not all intend to let the people they save be heroes for themselves.

So yes. The trilogy's a good movie that has shamefully been missed.

Now, I'm on my way to googling that cheer the prisoners shout in the pit.

Photo Sources: